Do you want to make more money? Of course, you do.
And if you’re looking to move up in your public sector career, you’re going to need some key soft skills. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what those skills are and how you can develop them. So, read on and start making your plans for a six-figure promotion.
In the public sector, promotions to six-figure positions are often based on merit and years of experience. However, in recent years, there has been an increased emphasis on the importance of soft skills in the workplace.
As a result, those who can effectively communicate their ideas and work well with others are more likely to be considered for top positions. When it comes to communication, there are a few key skills that are essential for success.
- First, it is important to be able to clearly articulate your thoughts and ideas. This means being able to confidently speak in front of groups and write clear and concise emails.
- Secondly, it is essential to be a good listener. Active listening involves paying attention to both verbal and nonverbal cues, and it is an important skill for building relationships and solving problems.
- Finally, it is also important to be able to navigate difficult conversations. This means being able to handle conflict constructively and reach compromise when necessary.
Those who have mastered these communication skills will be well-positioned for success in the public sector.
As anyone who has worked in the public sector knows, promotions are often based on more than just job performance. In addition to demonstrating strong technical skills, candidates for managerial positions must also be able to show that they have the soft skills required to lead a team.
One of the most important of these soft skills is problem-solving. Those who want to move up the ladder in the public sector need to be able to identify potential problems before they arise and develop creative solutions that will help their team to achieve its goals.
This can be a challenge, but those who are up for the task can find themselves well-positioned for a 6-figure promotion.
In the public sector, promotions often come with a significant increase in responsibilities. Those who are looking to move up the ladder need to be able to demonstrate that they have the skills to handle the additional workload.
One of the most important skills for any public sector worker is time management. The ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities is essential for success at any level.
Those who are looking to move up in the public sector should start by taking a close look at their time management skills. Are there ways to be more efficient? Are there times of day when you are more productive?
By taking the time to assess your time management skills, you can begin to make the changes necessary to improve your productivity and pave the way for a successful career in the public sector.
Organisational skills are critical for anyone looking to move up in the public sector. Promotions often come with added responsibilities, which can be overwhelming without a system in place to keep track of everything.
To be successful, you need to be able to prioritize tasks, delegate effectively, and stay organized even when things are hectic. One way to do this is to maintain a detailed calendar or to-do list that you review regularly.
Another is to set aside time each week to plan out your priorities for the coming days. By honing your organisational skills, you can set yourself up for success in the public sector.
In any profession, critical thinking is an important skill. But in the public sector, it is especially important. Public servants are often faced with complex problems that require innovative solutions. To find those solutions, public servants need to be able to think critically.
Critical thinking involves more than just coming up with ideas. It also involves assessing those ideas to see if they are feasible and effective. public servants need to be able to ask tough questions and identify potential flaws in their ideas as well as the ideas of others. Only by thinking critically can public servants find the best possible solutions to the challenges they face.
For public servants who want to move up the ladder, developing their critical thinking skills is essential. Those who can think critically will be better equipped to solve complex problems and will be more likely to be promoted to leadership positions. In the public sector, critical thinking is a key ingredient for success.
Leadership is a complex and multi-faceted quality, and it is often required for advancement in the public sector.
To be an effective leader, one must be able to inspire trust and confidence in those they lead, and must be able to make difficult decisions in the face of adversity.
In addition, a successful leader must be able to work well with others and must be able to effectively communicate their vision for the future. These are just a few of the many soft skills that are required for a promotion to a leadership position in the public sector.
While hard work and dedication are certainly important, it is these softer skills that will ultimately make the difference between success and failure in a leadership role.
You’re invited to my FREE TRAINING
How to land a promotion for a 6-figure public sector job (& beat the internal candidate!)
Wednesday 8 February at 7.00pm AEDT
(Sydney/Melb/Canberra/Bris/Tas 7.00pm, Perth 4.00pm, Adelaide/NT 6.30pm)
So if you’re a public servant who is:
– applying for new roles in other departments or tiers of government and getting knocked back or getting the silent treatment
– trying to apply for a promotion within your department and you’re always overlooked, even though you have done many, or long-term Acting roles before; or
– you’re about to apply for roles
In this live training you’ll learn:
- The number 1 reason you are being overlooked and what internal candidates have that you don’t (and no, it’s not just because they know the hiring manager!)
- The 3 mistakes you’re making and how to fix them right now
- How my proven 6-step process works for my clients and why it will work for you too!
Register by clicking the button below.
Hi, I’m Athena Ali
The Founder of The Get Noticed Coach.
I help public servants and aspiring public servants
– articulate their brilliance in resumes and CVs that get hiring managers excited to see them,
– write key selection criteria that prove you’re the right person for the job quickly,
– create a personal brand that sells for you so that you are headhunted for 6 figure roles effortlessly, and
– arm you with confidence-boosting strategies for your next interview so that you impress the recruiters and hiring managers and get hired in a $100K+ public service job.
I’m for people who want to make a difference in the community and work with purpose in a senior public service role.
I use my unique marketing approach to help you get clear, get confident, get visible, and advance your career with my unique 6 step framework.
With over 13 years in the public service and landing every government role I applied for and wanted I am well placed to show you how I did it and how you can do it too!
I believe in you.